also: blues plural noun
to say something out of the blue
- dire qualcosa di punto in bianco
to appear, happen out of the blue
to go off into the blue
to vanish into the blue
the air was blue!
- volavano parole grosse!
black and blue
- pieno di lividi
to beat somebody black and blue
- [informal]pestare qualcuno o fare qualcuno nero di botte
to throw a blue fit
to tell somebody something, repeat something (to somebody) until one is blue in the face
- dire qualcosa a qualcuno, ripetere qualcosa (a qualcuno) fino a sgolarsi o inutilmente
you can shout until you're blue in the face, I'm going anyway!
- puoi gridare quanto ti pare, tanto vado comunque!
once in a blue moon
- (a) ogni morte di papa
to scream o yell blue murder
gridare come un ossesso(public figure, press)
transitive verb(British English) [informal]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com