- 1 (day of the month) date of birthdata di nascitadate of delivery, of expiry what date is your birthday?quando è il tuo compleanno?what date is it today? what's the date today? today's date is May 2 there's no date on the letter “date as postmark” to fix o set a datefissare una datalet's set a date nowfissiamo una data adessothe date of the next meeting is…il prossimo incontro è fissato per il…the date for the match is June 5la partita avrà luogo il 5 giugnoat a later date(in past tense) in seguitoat a o some future date of recent date
- 4 (person one is going out with)John is her date for the partyè John che la porta alla festawho's your date for tonight?con chi esci stasera?
- 1 (mark with date)(person)
datare (letter, cheque)(machine)
mettere la data su (envelope, document)
- 2 (identify age of)datare (skeleton, building, object)scientists have dated the skeleton at 300 BCgli scienziati fanno risalire lo scheletro al 300 a.C
- 3 (reveal age of)the style of clothing dates the filml'abbigliamento fa capire di che periodo è il film
- 1 (originate)to date from, to date back to the church dates from o back to the 17th century her problems date from o back to the accidenti suoi problemi risalgono all'incidentethese customs date from o back to the Middle Agesqueste usanze risalgono al Medioevotheir friendship dates from o back to childhoodla loro amicizia risale all'infanzia
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com