Translation of death in Italian:
- (of person)(of animal)[figurative] (of hopes, plans, dreams, civilization, democracy)at (the time of) his deatha death in the familyalla sua mortedeath by hanging, drowningun lutto in famigliato starve to death to freeze to death [figurative] to burn to deathmorte per impiccagione, annegamentoto put somebody to deathmorire bruciatoto sentence somebody to death (Law)mandare a morte qualcunodeath to the king!condannare a morte qualcunoa fight to the death they fought to the deatha morte il re!to drink oneself to death to work oneself to death she's working herself to death!hanno combattuto fino alla morteshe fell to her death she jumped to her death he met his death in a skiing accidentsi sta ammazzando di lavoro!to come close to death he remains a controversial figure in death as in lifemorì in un incidente sugli scito die a violent death to do somebody to deathanche da morto resta sempre un personaggio controverso, così come lo era da vivothat excuse, joke has been done to death [figurative]assassinare qualcunothat play has been done to deathquella scusa, quello scherzo è vecchio come il cuccothey were united in deathquel pezzo è stato fatto e rifattotill death do us part “Deaths” (Journalism)sono stati uniti nella mortea fall would mean o spell death“Necrologi”this means o spells the death of the old industriesuna caduta sarebbe fatalequesto provocherà la fine delle vecchie industrie
to die a o the death
- (fashion, entertainer, play)essere un fiasco
he died the death
- ha fatto fiasco
those children will be the death of me!
- quei bambini mi faranno morire!
that thesis, car will be the death of her!
- quella tesi, quell'auto la farà morire!
don't tell him, it will be the death of him
- non dirglielo, lo ucciderebbe
it's a matter of life or death
to look like death warmed up
I feel like death (warmed up)!
- mi sento uno zombie!
to be at death's door
to be worried to death
- [informal]essere preoccupato da morireabout per
to be frightened to death
- [informal]aver paura da morire
to frighten o scare somebody to death
- fare morire qualcuno di paura
to be bored to death
- [informal]annoiarsi da morire
I'm sick o tired to death of this!
- [informal]ne ho fin sopra i capelli! non ne posso più!
you'll catch your death (of cold)
- [informal]ti prenderai un malanno
to die a thousand deaths
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for Italian speakers translating into English 18: IL - USO DELL’ARTICOLO
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com