Translation of deceive in Italian:
- 1 (lie to and mislead)ingannare, imbrogliare, raggirare (parent, friend)to deceive somebody into doingraggirare qualcuno perché faccia o convincere qualcuno con l'inganno a fare qualcosato deceive somebody into thinking that …far credere (con l'inganno) a qualcuno che o ingannare qualcuno facendogli pensare che …to be deceived(fooled) essere imbrogliato(disappointed) essere delusoto be deceived in somebodyingannarsi sul conto di qualcunodon't be deceivednon farti ingannaredon't be deceived by his mildness, good-humour don't be deceived by appearances do my eyes deceive me?i miei occhi mi ingannano?I thought my ears were deceiving mepensavo di non aver sentito bene, non riuscivo a credere alle mie orecchie
- 2 (be unfaithful to)tradire (spouse, lover) (with con)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com