Translation of delay in Italian:
- 2 (slowness)without (further) delay to apologize for one's delay in replyingscusarsi per aver risposto in ritardothe government's inexcusable delay in publishing the reportl'ingiustificabile ritardo del governo nella pubblicazione del rapportothere's no time for delay
- 1 (postpone, put off)differire, rinviare, ritardare (decision, publication, departure) (until, to a, fino a)to delay doingtardare a fare
- 2 (hold up)causare un ritardo a, fare ritardare (train, arrival, post)rallentare (traffic, change, process)bad weather delayed us, we were delayed by bad weatheril brutto tempo ci ha fatto ritardareflights were delayed by up to 12 hoursi voli hanno avuto fino a 12 ore di ritardo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com