Translation of devil in Italian:
- 3 [informal] (for emphasis) See examples:what the devil do you mean?why the devil do you think I invited her? I wondered what the devil he was talking about, why the devil he had comeche diavolo vuoi dire?how the devil should I know? we'll have a devil of a job cleaning the housemi chiedevo di che diavolo stesse parlando, perché diavolo era venuto
- 4 [informal] (expressing affection, sympathy) See examples:a lucky devilhe's a handsome, cheeky devilun fortunello, un gran fortunatothe poor devilè un (gran) bel tipo, un bello sfacciatosome poor devil of a soldieril povero diavolothat child is a little devilqualche povero (diavolo di) soldatoquel bambino è un (vero) diavoletto
- 5 [informal] [rare] (nuisance) See examples:to be a devil for doingshe's a devil for contradicting peopleavere la mania di farethese pans are a devil to cleanha la mania di contraddire le personehe's a devil for gamblingqueste padelle sono una maledizione da pulire
intransitive verb forma in -ing ecc. -ll-(British English) (Law)
be a devil!
the devil you know is better than the devil you don't
- chi lascia la strada vecchia per la nuova sa quello che perde ma non quello che trova
to be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea
we won - the devil looks after his own
- [humorous]con molto culo abbiamo vinto
the devil only knows where, why etc.
- Dio solo sa dove, perché ecc.
to have the luck of the devil
- (British English) [informal]
like the devil
- [informal] (scream, run)come un pazzo
speak of the devil!
- si parla del diavolo (e spuntano le corna)!
there will be the devil to pay when he finds out!
- saranno guai grossi, la pagheremo cara quando lo scoprirà!
go to the devil!
the devil you did!
- [informal]non scherzare! figuriamoci!
to give the devil his due…
- per rendergli giustizia…, bisogna comunque riconoscergli che…
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 13: IT
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com