Translation of duty in Italian:
- 1 (obligation)dovere (masculine) (to verso, nei confronti di)to have a duty to do to make it one's duty to do it is my duty to do to do one's duty to do one's duty by somebodyfare il proprio dovere verso qualcunoin the course of duty (Military)nell'adempimento delle proprie funzioniduty calls! to feel duty bound to do to neglect one's dutiesvenir meno ai propri doveriout of a sense of duty legal duty, statutory dutydovere legale
- 2gener. pl. (task)mansioni (feminine plural) , compiti (masculine plural)to take up one's dutiescominciare il proprio lavoroto perform o carry out one's dutiessvolgere le proprie mansioni (as di)
- 3 uncountable (work) to be on, off duty (Military, Medicine)essere in, fuori servizio(School) to go on, off dutymontare di servizio, smontare dal servizioday, night dutyservizio diurno, notturnoto do duty for o as somethingservire da qualcosa, fare da qualcosato do duty for somebody
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com