When used as coordinating conjunctions either… or are translated by o… o , although the first o may be omitted: she must be either silly or very lazy = deve essere (o) stupida o molto pigra; you can have either tea or coffee = può prendere (o) tè o caffè; they can either phone me or send me a fax = possono (o) telefonarmi o mandarmi un fax. - When used as a conjunction in a negative sentence, either… or are translated by né… né , although the first né may be omitted: you're not being either truthful or fair = non sei (né) sincero né giusto. - When used as an adverb in a negative sentence, either can be translated by neppure , nemmeno or neanche ;note that, while either is usually placed at the end of the sentence in this case, its Italian equivalent is at the beginning: I can't do it either = neanche io posso farlo. Note also that, if not + either is substituted by neither , the Italian translation does not change: I didn't go there either = neither did I go there = nemmeno io ci andai. - For examples and further uses, see the entry below.
- 1 (one or the other) you can take either roadpuoi prendere una strada o l'altraeither one will dotutti e due andranno bene(in the negative)I can't see either childnon vedo né un bambino né l'altro
- 2 (both)either one of the solutions is acceptableentrambe le soluzioni sono accettabiliin either casein entrambi i casiat either side of the streetsu ciascun lato della stradaat either side of the firedai due lati del caminoin either handin ciascuna manoeither way, you winin un modo o nell'altro vincieither way, it will be difficultin ogni caso sarà difficileI don't care either wayin un modo o nell'altro è lo stessoI don't have strong views either wayin un modo o nell'altro non ne sono pienamente convintoeither way, you can't confirm itin ogni caso non puoi confermarlo
- 1 (one or other) you can take either (of them)puoi prendere l'uno o l'altroeither or both of you can do itpotete farlo tutti e due“which book do you want?” - “either”“quale libro vuoi?” - “fa lo stesso”(in the negative)I don't like either (of them)non mi piace né l'uno né l'altro, nessuno dei dueI don't believe either of younon credo né all'uno né all'altrowithout either (of them)senza l'uno né l'altrothere was no sound from either of the roomsnon proveniva nessun rumore né da una camera né dall'altra
- 1 (as alternatives)I was expecting him either Tuesday or Wednesdaylo aspettavo martedì o mercoledìyou either love him or hate him either by cheating or by lyingingannando o mentendoit's either him or me available in either pink or bluedisponibile in rosa o in bluI confessed, it was either that or be torturedho confessato altrimenti mi avrebbero torturato
- 2 (in the negative)I wouldn't reward either Patrick or Emilynon ricompenserei né Patrick né Emilyyou're not being either truthful or fair
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com