Translation of encourage in Italian:
- 1(boost, support) incoraggiare, incitare(raise morale of) incoraggiare, confortare(reassure) rassicurareto encourage somebody to doincoraggiare qualcuno a farethis only encouraged him in his desire to doquesto non ha fatto altro che stimolare il suo desiderio di farethese observations encouraged him in his belief that …queste osservazioni hanno rafforzato la sua convinzione che …don't laugh at his jokes, it'll only encourage him!non ridere alle sue battute altrimenti gli darai corda!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com