When enough is used as an adverb, it is most frequently translated by abbastanza: is the house big enough? = è abbastanza grande la casa? / la casa è grande abbastanza? (note that abbastanza usually comes before the adjective, though it may come after as well). When used as a determiner or a pronoun, abbastanza may either precede or follow the noun: we haven't bought enough meat = non abbiamo comprato abbastanza carne there's enough meat for two meals / six people = c'è carne abbastanza per due pasti / sei persone; have you got enough chairs? = avete abbastanza sedie? will there be enough? = ce ne sarà abbastanza? (note that if the sentence does not specify what there is enough of, the pronoun ne, meaning of it / of them, must be added before the verb in Italian).- For more examples and particular usages, see below.
Translation of enough in Italian:
- tall, sweet enoughabbastanza alto, dolcebig enough for usabbastanza grande per noibig enough to hold 50 peopleabbastanza grande per contenere 50 personequite big enoughproprio grande a sufficienza (for per) (to do per fare)just wide enoughproprio largo quanto basta (for per) (to do per fare)to eat enoughmangiare abbastanzashe seems happy enoughsembra piuttosto feliceit's a common enough complaint there was hardly enoughce n'era a malapena abbastanzayou're not trying hard enoughci stai provando senza sforzarti abbastanzais he old enough to vote? curiously enough, I like herper quanto possa sembrare strano, mi piacehe's enough of a fool o he's fool enough to believe itè abbastanza stupido da crederloshe's a nice enough womanè una donna piuttosto carinashe said she would do it and sure enough she diddisse che l'avrebbe fatto e così è stato
- will that be enough (money)?basterà?there's more than enough for everybody is there enough?ce n'è abbastanza?have you had enough to eat?avete mangiato a sufficienza?I've had enough of him, of his rudenessne ho abbastanza di lui, della sua maleducazioneI've had enough of working for one dayho lavorato abbastanza per oggiI've got enough to worry about I think you have said enough once was enough for me! that's enough (from you)!basta!it's enough to put you offc'è di che essere disgustatienough said!ho capito!enough's enough
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com