When enough is used as an adverb, it is most frequently translated by abbastanza: is the house big enough? = è abbastanza grande la casa? / la casa è grande abbastanza? (note that abbastanza usually comes before the adjective, though it may come after as well). When used as a determiner or a pronoun, abbastanza may either precede or follow the noun: we haven't bought enough meat = non abbiamo comprato abbastanza carne there's enough meat for two meals / six people = c'è carne abbastanza per due pasti / sei persone; have you got enough chairs? = avete abbastanza sedie? will there be enough? = ce ne sarà abbastanza? (note that if the sentence does not specify what there is enough of, the pronoun ne, meaning of it / of them, must be added before the verb in Italian).- For more examples and particular usages, see below.
Translation of enough in Italian:
- tall, sweet enoughbig enough for usabbastanza alto, dolcebig enough to hold 50 peopleabbastanza grande per noiquite big enoughabbastanza grande per contenere 50 personejust wide enoughproprio grande a sufficienzafor per to do per fareto eat enoughproprio largo quanto bastafor per to do per fareshe seems happy enoughmangiare abbastanzait's a common enough complaint there was hardly enoughsembra piuttosto feliceyou're not trying hard enoughce n'era a malapena abbastanzais he old enough to vote? curiously enough, I like herci stai provando senza sforzarti abbastanzahe's enough of a fool o he's fool enough to believe itper quanto possa sembrare strano, mi piaceshe's a nice enough womanè abbastanza stupido da crederloshe said she would do it and sure enough she didè una donna piuttosto carinadisse che l'avrebbe fatto e così è stato
- will that be enough (money)?there's more than enough for everybody is there enough?basterà?have you had enough to eat?ce n'è abbastanza?I've had enough of him, of his rudenessavete mangiato a sufficienza?I've had enough of working for one dayne ho abbastanza di lui, della sua maleducazioneI've got enough to worry about I think you have said enough once was enough for me! that's enough (from you)!ho lavorato abbastanza per oggiit's enough to put you offbasta!enough said!c'è di che essere disgustatienough's enoughho capito!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Usage notes for Italian speakers translating into English 31: RELAZIONI DI QUANTITA’
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com