Translation of except in Italian:
There are four frequently used translations for except when used as a preposition: by far the most frequent of these is tranne ( every day except Sundays = tutti i giorni tranne la domenica); the others are eccetto, fatta eccezione per and all'infuori di. Note, however, that in what/ where/ who questions, except is translated by se non. - For examples and the phrases except for and except that, see the entry below.
- 1everybody except Lisatutti tranne Lisanothing exceptnient'altro chenobody exceptnessuno eccettoexcept when except ifa meno che (non)except that …salvo che …who could have done it except him?chi avrebbe potuto farlo se non lui?where could she be except at home?dove potrebbe essere se non a casa?
- escludere (from da)not exceptingsenza escludere o compresopresent company exceptedesclusi i presenti
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com