Translation of expectation in Italian:
- 1 (assumption, prediction) it is my expectation that …mi aspetto che …to have expectations of successavere delle speranze di successoagainst all expectation(s)contro tutte le previsionibeyond all expectation(s) it is in line with expectation(s)è in linea con le previsioniyou have been chosen in the expectation that …sei stato scelto con la speranza che …in the expectation of a shortagein previsione di scarsità
- 2 (aspiration, hope) to live up to, fail to live up to somebody's expectations I don't want to raise their expectations to have great expectations ofaspettarsi molto daan atmosphere of expectation
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com