Translation of figure in Italian:
- 1 (number, amount) a provisional, disappointing figurea figure of 15 millionun numero provvisorio, deludentea figure of £150un numero di 15 milionigovernment, official figuresuna somma di 150 sterlinea four-, six-figure sumle cifre del governo, ufficialiher salary runs into six figuresuna somma a quattro, sei cifreinflation is in single, double figuresha uno stipendio altissimoto have a head for figures, to be good with figuresil tasso d'inflazione è inferiore al 10%, è a due cifreessere bravo in matematica, con i numeri
- 3(person, human form)(in painting, sculpture)a familiar, imposing, diminutive figurehuman, reclining figure (Art)una figura familiare, imponente, minuscolaa figure appeared through the mistfigura umana, distesauna figura apparve tra la nebbia
- 4 (representative or symbol) See examples:mother, father figure she is something of a Cassandra, Lady Macbeth figureè una specie di Cassandra, Lady Macbeth
- 5 (body shape) to keep one's figureto lose one's figuremantenere la lineato watch one's figureperdere la lineato have a great figure [informal] made for a man's, woman's figurefare attenzione alla lineafatto per la figura maschile, femminile
- (American English) figure in [something], figure [something] in
- [informal] figure on [something] I hadn't figured on that!
- figure out [something], figure [something] out
tener conto di, includere (in un prezzo, in una spesa).
to figure on doing to figure on somebody doing
non avevo fatto affidamento su ciò!
aspettarsi che qualcuno faccia
(answer, reason, best way)to figure out who, why, how etc.
I can't figure him out
riuscire a capire chi, perché, come ecc.
she's got her future figured out
non riesco a capirlo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Usage notes for English speakers translating into Italian 3: CAPACITY MEASURES
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com