- 2 (record) to have, keep a file on somebody his fingerprints, details are on filele sue impronte digitali sono schedate, i suoi dati sono schedatishe's on fileè schedata o in archivioto open a file on somebody, somethingaprire un dossier o istruire una pratica su qualcuno, qualcosait's time to close the file [figurative]
- 2 (Law)presentare, inoltrare, depositare (application, complaint, request) (with presso)to file a petition in bankruptcy to file a lawsuit (against somebody) to file papers for adoptionpresentare una o fare domanda d'adozioneto file a claim for damages against somebody
- 3 (Journalism)inviare (report)
- limare (wood, metal)to file one's nailslimarsi le unghieto file through a barsegare le sbarre (con la lima)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com