Translation of finish in Italian:
- 2 (leave)(work, studies)I finish work at 5.30 pmshe finishes school, university next yearsmetto di lavorare alle 17 e 30finirà la scuola, l'università l'anno prossimo
- 1 (end)(conference, programme, term, holidays)the meeting finishes at 3 pmthe film finishes on Thursday I'll see you when the concert finishes wait until the music finishesla riunione finisce alle 15as the concert was finishingaspetta che finisca la musicaafter the lecture finishes we'll have lunchquando stava finendo il concertoI'm waiting for the washing machine to finishpranzeremo quando finirà la conferenzaaspetto che la lavatrice abbia finito
- 2 (reach end of race) my horse finished firstthe horse, the athlete failed to finishil mio cavallo è arrivato primoil cavallo, l'atleta non è riuscito ad arrivare alla fine
- 1 finish [something] off, finish off [something] 1.1 (complete)
- 1 finish up (person)
- 1 finish with [something]
(letter, task)I'll just finish off the ironing
1.2 (round off) See examples:to finish off the meal with a glass of brandy
finisco solo di stirare
2 finish [somebody] off 2.1
terminare il pasto con un bicchiere di brandy
(demoralize) (person)2.2 (kill)
(at end of journey)
(in situation)they finished up in London
he finished up in prison
finirono a Londra
to finish up as a teacher
finì in prigione
to finish up (by) doing
alla fine divenne insegnante
2 finish [something] up, finish up [something]
finire per fare
(milk, paint, cake)
have you finished with the newspaper?
hurry up and finish with the scissors, I need them
hai finito di leggere il giornale?
pass the pen to me when you've finished with it
sbrigati con le forbici, ne ho bisogno
I'm finished with school, politics!
passami la penna quando hai finito
2 finish with [somebody] 2.1 (split up)
basta con la scuola, con la politica! o con la scuola, la politica ho chiuso!
2.2 (stop punishing) See examples:I haven't finished with you yet! you'll be sorry when I've finished with you!
farla finita, rompere con(girlfriend, boyfriend)
saranno guai quando avrò finito con te!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Usage notes for English speakers translating into Italian 36: THE DAYS OF THE WEEK
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com