- 1 (silly person) the poor foolil povero stupidoyou stupid fool! [informal]pezzo di cretino!don't be (such) a fool!non fare l'idiota!I was a fool to believe him I was fool enough to believe him to make somebody look a foolfar fare a qualcuno la figura dello scemoto make a fool of somebodyprendersi gioco di qualcuno o prendere in giro qualcunoto be fool enough to agreeessere abbastanza sciocco da accettareshe's no fool, she's nobody's foolè tutt'altro che stupidaany fool could do that [informal]chiunque saprebbe farlo(the) more fool you! [informal]bravo scemo!to act o play the fool
adjective before n(American English) [informal]
- (politician)that's a fool thing to do, say
stupidoè una cosa sciocca da fare, dire
- you don't fool anybodynon prendi in giro nessunodon't let that fool you!non cascarci!who are you trying to fool?chi stai cercando di imbrogliare?you don't fool me for a minute to fool somebody into doingconvincere (con l'inganno) qualcuno a fareto fool somebody into o believing that …fare credere a qualcuno che …to fool somebody out ofsottrarre [qualcosa] a qualcuno con l'inganno (money)to be fooledfarsi imbrogliare o beffare (by da)don't be fooled!non farti abbindolare!you really had me fooled!ci ero proprio cascato!
- (British English) [informal] 1 fool about, around 1.1 (waste time) 1.2 (act stupidly)
- fool [something] away (fritter)
fare lo stupido (with con)1.3 (have affairs) 2 fool around with [somebody, something] 2.1 (flirt)
fare lo scemo con (lover)2.2 (mess around)
gingillarsi, trastullarsi con (gadget, toy)
sprecare, sciupare (time, money)
noun(British English) (Cookery)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com