Translation of give in Italian:
transitive verb pass. gave p.pass. given
- 1 (hand over)(person) (object, money, medal, prize, punishment, hand, arm) to a(present, drink, sandwich) to ato give somebody somethingdare qualcosa a qualcuno(politely, as gift)give it (to) me!, give me it! give him a drinkoffrire qualcosa a qualcunoto give somebody something foroffrigli una bibita o da berehow much o what will you give me for it? I'll give you 50 cents for itdare qualcosa a qualcuno per(birthday, Christmas)I'd give anything for, to doti darò 50 centesimi (per questo)what wouldn't I give for…!darei qualsiasi cosa per, per fareto give somebody something asche cosa non darei per…!to give somebody something to carry, look afterdare qualcosa a qualcuno come(present, token, symbol)dare a qualcuno qualcosa da portare, cui badare
- 2 (cause to have) See examples:to give somebody [something], to give [something] to somebodyfare venire a qualcuno(headache, indigestion, vertigo, nightmares)dare a qualcuno(satisfaction)(disease, infection, virus)he's given me his coughto give somebody pleasuremi ha attaccato la tossedare o fare piacere a qualcuno
- 4 (allow, accord)(authority)(custody) (grant, bursary)(seat)(hotelier) (room)to give somebody something(time, time period) to do per faregive me a minute to give somebody enough roomI'll give him another hour, then I'm calling the policedare o lasciare a qualcuno spazio sufficienteshe gave him a week to decidegli do o gli concedo ancora un'ora, poi chiamo la poliziahe was given six months to livegli diede una settimana per deciderehow long do you give the new boss, their marriage?gli diedero sei mesi di vitait is not given to all of us to do [formal]quanto tempo dai al nuovo capo, al loro matrimonio?she can sing, I'll give her thatnon è dato a tutti di fareit's original, I'll give you thatsa cantare, devo riconoscerglieloshe could give her opponent five yearsè originale, te lo concedothe polls give Labour a leadpotrebbe concedere al suo avversario al massimo cinque anni
- 5 (Medicine)to give somebody something o to give something to somebodydare qualcosa a qualcuno(treatment, medicine)trapiantare qualcosa a qualcuno(organ)mettere qualcosa a qualcuno(artificial limb, pacemaker)can you give me something for the pain?fare qualcosa a qualcuno(facelift, injection, massage)mi può dare qualcosa per il dolore?
- 6 (communicate)(advice, information, appointment)I was given to understand o believe that …mi fu dato a intendere, fatto credere che …
- 7 (Telecommunications)to give somebody somethinggive me the sales manager, pleasepassare a qualcuno(extension, number, department)mi passi il direttore commerciale, per favore
intransitive verb pass. gave p.pass. given
- 1 (contribute) to give to something (habitually)she never gives to charityfare delle offerte, delle donazioni a qualcosa“please give generously”non dà mai niente in beneficenza“donate con generosità”
- 3 (yield, break) → give way sign
reflexive verb pass. gave p.pass. given
don't give me that!
- [informal]non cercare di darmela a bere!
give or take an inch (or two)
- centimetro più, centimetro meno
give me a nice cup of tea any day o every time!
- [informal]non c'è niente come una bella tazza di tè!
if this is the big city, give me a village every time
- [informal]se questa è la grande città, preferisco mille volte i paesini
“I give you the bride and groom!”
- (formula che si usa al termine di un discorso per brindare agli sposi)
I'll give you something to cry about!
- [informal]te la do io una ragione per piangere!
I'll give you something to complain about!
- [informal]te la do io una ragione per lamentarti!
more money? I'll give you more money! to give and take
- [informal]altri soldi? te li do io, i soldi!
to give as good as one gets
to give it all one's got
to give somebody what for
- [informal]dare a qualcuno una lavata di capo
- 1 give away [something], give [something] away 1.1 (as gift, offer, charity)
- give [something] back, give back [something] 1.1 (restore, return)
- [literary] give forth [something]
- 1 give in 1.1 (to temptation, threat, person)
- give off [something]
- give onto [something]
- 1 give out
- 1 give over [informal] give over! to give over doing [informal] 2 give over [something], give [something] over 2.1
- 1 give up do you give up?
- give way 1.1 (collapse)
dare via, regalare(item, sample, ticket) to a
(samples, tickets)we're practically giving them away!
they're not exactly giving it away [ironic]
li stiamo praticamente regalando!
we've got 100 copies to give away!
non lo regalano certo
abbiamo 100 copie da regalare!
(secret) to a
(answer, story, ending) to athe flavour gives it away
1.3 (waste, lose carelessly)
l'aroma lo rivela
(match, goal, advantage) to a2 give [somebody] away, give away [somebody] 2.1 (betray)
(person) (person) to ato give oneself away
2.2 (in marriage)
tradirsiby doing facendo
dare indietro, restituire(possession)
(freedom) to agive it back! …or we'll give you your money back
1.2 (repay) (society) 1.3 (reflect)
…o sarete rimborsati
to a1.2 (stop trying) I give in - tell me!
2 give in [something], give [something] in
cedo - dimmelo!
(homework, essay, key)
(signal, radiation, light, fumes)
(oxygen)he was giving off hostile signals
dava segni di ostilità
(street, yard etc.)
(strength, battery, ink, fuel, supplies)
(engine, machine)2 give out [something], give [something] out 2.1 (distribute)
guastarsi, andare in panne
(books, leaflets, gifts) to a2.2 (emit) → give off: 2.3 (announce)
(place, room) to a, per2.2
(time, life) to athe rest of the day was given over to
2.3 (hand over)
il resto della giornata fu dedicato a
3 give oneself over to 3.1 (devote oneself)
affidare qualcosa a(person)
3.2 (let oneself go)
dedicarsi a(good works, writing)
3.3 (hand oneself to)
abbandonarsi a(despair, joy)
I give up! (exasperated)
don't give up!
mi arrendo! ci rinuncio!
to give up on
lasciar perdere(diet, crossword)
dare per spacciato(patient)
(friend, partner, associate)I've given up on him 2 give up [something], give [something] up 2.1 (renounce or sacrifice)
(social life, throne, title, claim)
(free time, Saturdays etc.)
(job, work)to give up smoking, drinking to give everything up for somebody
to give up one's free time for something
lasciare tutto per qualcuno
2.2 (abandon, drop)
sacrificare il proprio tempo libero per qualcosa
(search, hope, struggle, school subject)
(idea, thought)to give up trying, writing
smettere di cercare, di scrivere
(seat, place, territory)
(secret, treasure)3 give up [somebody], give [somebody] up 3.1 (hand over)
to ato give oneself up
3.2 (British English) (stop expecting to arrive)
arrendersi o consegnarsito a
I'd given you up! 3.3 (stop expecting to recover)
rinunciare ad aspettare qualcuno
3.4 (discontinue relations with)
dare qualcuno per spacciato
lasciar perdere, abbandonare(friend)
(bridge, table, chair)under sotto
(wall, fence, ceiling)under sotto
(fence, cable, rope)under sottohis legs gave way under the weight, when he heard the news
1.2 (British English) (when driving) 1.3 (concede, yield) to give way to (yield to)
quando udì la notizia gli cedettero le gambe
cedere a(pressure, demands, person, fear, temptation, urge)
(be replaced by)
abbandonarsi a(despair, base instincts)
lasciare il posto a(sunshine, relief, new methods)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 30: WHEN
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com