- 1 (lustre)(of wood, metal, paintwork, leather, hair etc.) lucentezza (feminine) , brillantezza (feminine)(of paper) lucidezza (feminine)[figurative] [pejorative] (superficial glamour) to lose its gloss [figurative]perdere lustroto take the gloss off(by accident) portar via il lucido(on purpose) sverniciare (wood)satinare (metal)[figurative]fare perdere lustro a (proceedings, ceremony)
- 2 [figurative] (outer appearance, veneer) a gloss of respectabilityuna patina di rispettabilitàto put a favourable, different gloss on something [figurative]mettere qualcosa sotto una luce favorevole, diversa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com