Translation of great in Italian:
- 1 (large)(height, distance, speed, majority, object, danger, number, percentage, difference etc.)at great speeda pay rise of 10% or £1200, whichever is the greatera gran velocitàun aumento di stipendio del 10% o di 1200 sterline, tenendo conto di quella che sarà la cifra più alta
- 2 (as intensifier)(excitement, relief, force, heat)(surprise, tragedy, success, advantage)(pain)a great deal (of)a great many people, housesuna gran quantità (di) o un gran numero (di)to have great difficulty doingmoltissime persone, casein great detailavere grandi difficoltà a farethe map was a great helpnei minimi dettagliyou're a great help! [ironic]la carta geografica è stata di grande aiutobell'aiuto che sei! mi sei proprio di grande aiuto!
- 4 [informal] (excellent)(book, film, party, vacation, weather)(opportunity)it's great to be back, to see youto feel greatè meraviglioso essere tornato, rivedertiyou look great!sentirsi benissimo, in grande forma(healthy)ti vedo in gran forma!(attractive)that dress looks great on youstai benissimo! sei splendida!to have a great timequel vestito ti sta benissimoX is the greatest!divertirsi tantissimo o un mondoX è il più grande o il migliore!
- 5 [informal] (talented)(teacher, singer, team)to be great atto be great at fixing carsessere bravissimo a(tennis, football)to be great withessere un mago nel riparare le autoto be great onessere bravissimo o saperci fare con(children, animals)essere bravissimo in(history, architecture)
also: Greats plural proper noun(British English) (University)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for Italian speakers translating into English 17: GRANDE
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com