Translation of hardly in Italian:
- 2 (not really)(expect, hope)you can hardly expect me to believe that!
difficilmentenon puoi certo aspettarti che ci creda!it's hardly a secret!non è certo un segreto!it's hardly likely it's hardly surprisingnon è certo sorprendente, non sorprendeit's hardly worth it hardly!certamente no! o no di certo!I need hardly tell you that … I need hardly remind you that …è inutile che ti ricordi che …I can hardly wait!non vedo l'ora[ironic]I can hardly believe it!
muoio proprio dalla vogliastento a crederci! o non mi sembra vero!
- 3 (almost not)hardly any hardly ever, anybodyquasi mai, nessunohe hardly ever writesnon scrive quasi mai o scrive raramentehardly a day goes by without somebody doing something o that somebody doesn't do somethingnon passa giorno che qualcuno non faccia qualcosa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com