Translation of hole in Italian:
- 1 (in clothing, ground, hedge, pocket)buco (masculine) (in in)to dig a holescavare una bucathe explosion blew a hole in the planel'esplosione ha provocato uno squarcio nell'aereothis sweater is full of holesquesta maglia è piena di buchi
- 8 (financial) a big hole in profitsun buco enorme negli utilithat holiday made a hole in my pocketle vacanze mi hanno lasciato al verde
to be 10 dollars in the hole
- (American English) [informal]essere sotto di dieci dollari
to get oneself into a hole
- [informal]cacciarsi nei guai
to get somebody out of a hole
- tirare fuori qualcuno dai pasticci
I needed that like I need a hole in the head!
- [informal]ci mancava solo questo!
money burns a hole in her pocket
- ha le mani bucate
- (in golf)
andare in buca (in in)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com