Translation of honour in Italian:
- 1 (privilege) to consider something a great honourconsiderare qualcosa un grande onoreplace of honour it is an honour (for somebody) to doè un onore (per qualcuno) fareto have the honour to do o of doing to give somebody o do somebody the honour of doingconcedere a qualcuno l'onore di fareto be an honour to somebody, somethingfare onore a qualcuno, a qualcosain honour of somebody, somethingin onore di qualcuno, qualcosato what do I owe this honour? [formal] o [ironic]a cosa devo questo onore?buried with full honourssepolto con esequie solenni
- 2 (high principles) a man of honourun uomo d'onoreto impugn somebody's honour [formal]mettere in dubbio l'onore di qualcunoa point o an affair of honour honour is satisfied to give one's word of honour in honoursul mio onoreto be on one's honour to doessere una questione d'onore fareI swear it (up)on my honour o honour bright! [rare]lo giuro sul mio onore!
also: honours plural noun(University)
- 1 (show respect for)onorare, rispettare (parents, spouse, dead, leader)onorare, venerare (flag, hero, artist)to feel, be honouredsentirsi onorato (by da)we would be honouredsaremmo onoratiI feel o am honoured that she trusts mesono onorato della sua fiduciato honour somebody by doing [formal]fare onore a qualcuno facendowelcome to our honoured guestsun benvenuto ai nostri illustri ospiti
there is honour among thieves
to do the honours
- (serve food, drinks) fare gli onori di casa(introduce guests) fare le presentazioni
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com