If is almost always translated by se, except in the case of a very few usages which are shown below. Please note that both if and whether are translated by se in Italian.
Translation of if in Italian:
- 1 (in the event that, supposing that) I'll help you if you pay me I'm not coming if you invite herif he dies o if he should die, it will have been your faultnon vengo se inviti leiif she is to be believedse dovesse morire sarà colpa tuaif possiblestando a quanto dicetomorrow, if convenient if asked, I would say that …se possibileI'll come with you if you likese me lo chiedessero direi che …he answers in monosyllables, if he answers at allvengo con te se vuoiit was a milestone in our history, if you likequando risponde, risponde a monosillabiif I were you, I…è stata, se vogliamo, una pietra miliare nella nostra storiaif it were to snowal posto tuo, io…if it were not for the baby, we could go campingse nevicasseif sose non fosse per il bambino potremmo andare in campeggioif notse è così, se le cose stanno cosìtomorrow, if not sooner if I'm not mistakense no
- 4 (that) See examples:I'm sorry if she doesn't like it but…do you mind if I smoke?mi dispiace che non le vada a genio ma…I don't care if he is married!vi dà fastidio se fumo?non mi importa se è sposato!
- 5 (although, accepting that)we'll go even if it's dangerous (even) if they are old, at least they are not aloneanche seit's a good shop, if a little expensiveanche se sono vecchi, almeno non sono solia pleasant, if rather small, apartmentè un buon negozio, benché un po' caroit was interesting, if nothing elseun grazioso appartamento, anche se piuttosto piccolose non altro era interessante
- 6 (as polite formula) See examples:if you would sign here please, follow me pleasese cortesemente vuole firmare qui, seguirmi
- 7 (expressing surprise, dismay etc.) See examples:if it isn't our old friend Mr Spencer! well, if she didn't try and hit him!ha cercato di colpirlo, eccome!
- 8also: what ifwhat if he died?e sewhat if I say no?e se morisse?(so) what if he ( o I etc.) did?e se dicessi di no?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 30: WHEN
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com