Translation of intend in Italian:
- 1 (have in mind)intendere, avere in mente (outcome, meaning, result, marriage)as I intendedcome volevo o com'era nelle mie intenzionijust what, where I intendedproprio quello che avevo in mente, dove volevosooner, more than I had intended to intend to do o to intend doingavere intenzione di fareto intend somebody to dovolere che qualcuno facciato intend that …intendere che …
- 2 (mean)to intend something as a joke, an insultdire qualcosa per scherzo, per offendereno insult intended it was clearly intended as a reference to…voleva essere una chiara allusione a…to be intended for somebody, somethingessere destinato a qualcuno, qualcosaI never intended it to be a serious analysis she intended it to be affectionate, cruelvoleva che risultasse affettuoso, crudelethe law is intended to prevent …la legge intende impedire …it was not intended to be used like thatnon era previsto che si utilizzasse in questo modo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com