Into is used after certain nouns and verbs in English ( change into, stray into etc.). For translations, consult the appropriate noun or verb entry ( → change, → stray etc.). - Into is also used in the structure verb + somebody + into + doing something ( to bully somebody into doing something, to fool somebody into doing something). For translations of these structures see the appropriate verb entry ( → bully1, → fool1 etc.). - For translations of expressions like get into trouble, go into details, get into debt etc., you should consult the appropriate noun entry ( → trouble, → detail, → debt etc.).
Translation of into in Italian:
- 1 (indicating change of position, location) to put something intomettere qualcosa in (container, envelope, drainer, room)to come, go intoentrare in (room, building, zone)to disappear intosparire in (forest, mist)pour the mixture into itversarci dentro il compostoto move something into the shadespostare qualcosa all'ombrato go into town, into the officeandare in città, in ufficioto get into the car, a train to get into bed to help somebody into bedaiutare qualcuno a mettersi a letto
- 2 (indicating change of shape, form, value) to cut, fold something into triangles to curl up into a ballraggomitolarsito break something into piecesfare a pezzi qualcosadivided into apartmentsdiviso in appartamentito translate something into Greektradurre qualcosa in grecoto change dollars into francscambiare dollari in franchito turn intotrasformarsi in (butterfly, frog)to turn into a young woman to roll something into a ballfare una palla di qualcosa
- 3 (indicating duration)to last, continue into the 18th centurydurare fino al, continuare nel XVIII secoloto go on into the afternooncontinuare nel pomeriggiolong o far into the nightfino a tarda notte
- 4 (indicating a point in a process)we were well into 1988 when…il 1988 era già iniziato da un pezzo quando…well into the second halfben dopo l'inizio del secondo temposhe was well into the fourth month of her pregnancyaveva già superato il quarto mese di gravidanzato be (well) into one's thirtiesavere trent'anni suonati
- 6 [informal] (keen on)to be intointeressarsi di o essere (un) appassionato di (jazz, athletics, architecture etc.)she's into art in a big way o she's heavily into artè una vera appassionata d'arteto be into drugsdrogarsi
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com