Translation of joke in Italian:
- 1 (amusing story) to tell a joke to crack jokesraccontare barzelletteto get the joke [informal] bad joke(in bad taste) barzelletta di cattivo gusto(stupid) barzelletta stupida[figurative]it's our private joke to have a joke about something
brutto scherzoraccontare una storiella su qualcosacan't you see the joke?capisci il senso della battuta?
- 2 (laughing matter) to do something as a jokefare qualcosa per scherzoto turn something into a jokevolgere qualcosa in burlato carry o take a joke too faresagerare con uno scherzo o spingere uno scherzo troppo in làthe joke is on you this is getting beyond a jokela cosa si sta facendo seriashe can't take a jokenon sa stare allo scherzocan't you take a joke? it's no joke doingnon è uno scherzo fareit's no joke trying to find a job to make a joke of somethingprendere in burla qualcosa
- 3 (prank) to play a joke on somebodyfare uno scherzo a qualcuno o giocare un brutto tiro a qualcuno
- 4 (object of ridicule)(person) zimbello (masculine)(event, situation) cosa (feminine) buffa, ridicolathe exam was a jokel'esame è stato uno scherzo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com