When the least is used as a quantifier followed by a noun to mean the smallest quantity of, it is translated by (il) meno, (il) più piccolo, (il) minore: they had the least food = hanno ricevuto meno cibo di tutti/la minor quantità di cibo. - But when the least is used as a quantifier to mean the slightest, it is translated by il minimo or la minima: I haven't the least idea about it = non ne ho la minima idea. For examples of these and particular usages, see below. - For translations of least as a pronoun or adverb see → least 2, → least 3 below. - The phrase at least is usually translated by almeno. For examples and exceptions, see → least 3 3 below. - For the phrase in the least, see → least 3 4 below.
- (the) least(in negative constructions)they had the least foodthey have the least chance of winninghanno ricevuto meno cibo di tutti o la minor quantità di cibothey haven't the least chance of winningsono quelli che hanno la possibilità di vincere più remotaI haven't the least ideanon hanno la minima possibilità di vincerehe didn't have the least difficulty in believing hernon ne ho la minima ideathe least thing annoys himnon ebbe la minima difficoltà a crederlahe wasn't the least bit jealous, worried “were you frightened?” - “not the least bit!”la minima cosa lo irrita o si secca per un nonnulla“hai avuto paura?” - “nemmeno un po'!”
- nobody has very much but we have the leastil meno, il minimobuy the one that costs the leastnessuno ha molto, ma noi abbiamo meno di tuttiit was the least I could do the least he could have done was phone the policecompra quello che costa menothat's the least of our problems!al minimo avrebbe potuto, avrebbe almeno potuto chiamare la poliziathat's the least of it she was surprised, to say the least (of it)è l'ultimo dei nostri problemi! è l'ultima delle nostre preoccupazioni!era sorpresa, a dir poco
- 2 (with verbs) I like that one (the) least they are the ones who need it (the) least just when we least expected it those least able to afford to pay those least able to copenobody was very enthusiastic about this idea, the president least of all o least of all the presidentcoloro che sono meno in grado di cavarselanot least becausenessuno era molto entusiasta di questa idea, il presidente meno di tutti o meno di tutti il presidentenon ultimo, perché
- 3also: at leastthere were at least 50 people in the room it must have cost at least £1,000she's at least 40deve essere costato almeno 1.000 sterlineshe's at least as qualified as he isha almeno quarant'annithey could at least have phoned!è perlomeno qualificata tanto quanto luiyou could at least have told me!avrebbero almeno potuto telefonare!at least he didn't sufferperlomeno avresti potuto dirmelo!he's gone to bed - at least I think soalmeno non ha soffertohe has never been there - at least, that's what he saysè andato a letto - almeno credosuch people are at the very least guilty of negligencenon è mai stato lì - o almeno così dicecandidates should, at the very least, be proficient in two foreign languagestali persone sono come minimo colpevoli di negligenzai candidati devono padroneggiare almeno due lingue straniere
- 4in the least I'm not worried in the least o I'm not in the least (bit) worried I'm not hungry in the least, I'm not in the least (bit) hungryit doesn't bother me in the leastnon ho minimamente o assolutamente fameit doesn't matter in the leastnon mi disturba affattonot in the least!non ha nessuna o la minima importanzaper niente! niente affatto!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com