When the least is used as a quantifier followed by a noun to mean the smallest quantity of, it is translated by (il) meno, (il) più piccolo, (il) minore: they had the least food = hanno ricevuto meno cibo di tutti/la minor quantità di cibo. - But when the least is used as a quantifier to mean the slightest, it is translated by il minimo or la minima: I haven't the least idea about it = non ne ho la minima idea. For examples of these and particular usages, see below. - For translations of least as a pronoun or adverb see → least 2 and → least 3 below. - The phrase at least is usually translated by almeno. For examples and exceptions, see → least 3 3 below. - For the phrase in the least, see → least 3 4 below.
- (the) least(in negative constructions) (il) minimothey had the least foodhanno ricevuto meno cibo di tutti o la minor quantità di cibothey have the least chance of winningsono quelli che hanno la possibilità di vincere più remotathey haven't the least chance of winningnon hanno la minima possibilità di vincereI haven't the least ideanon ne ho la minima ideahe didn't have the least difficulty in believing hernon ebbe la minima difficoltà a crederlathe least thing annoys himla minima cosa lo irrita o si secca per un nonnullahe wasn't the least bit jealous, worried “were you frightened?” - “not the least bit!”“hai avuto paura?” - “nemmeno un po'!”
- il meno, il minimonobody has very much but we have the leastnessuno ha molto, ma noi abbiamo meno di tuttibuy the one that costs the leastcompra quello che costa menoit was the least I could do the least he could have done was phone the policeal minimo avrebbe potuto, avrebbe almeno potuto chiamare la poliziathat's the least of our problems!è l'ultimo dei nostri problemi! è l'ultima delle nostre preoccupazioni!that's the least of it she was surprised, to say the least (of it)era sorpresa, a dir poco
- 2 (with verbs) I like that one (the) least they are the ones who need it (the) least just when we least expected it those least able to afford to pay those least able to copecoloro che sono meno in grado di cavarselanobody was very enthusiastic about this idea, the president least of all o least of all the presidentnessuno era molto entusiasta di questa idea, il presidente meno di tutti o meno di tutti il presidentenot least becausenon ultimo, perché
- 3also: at leastthere were at least 50 people in the room it must have cost at least £1,000deve essere costato almeno 1.000 sterlineshe's at least 40ha almeno quarant'annishe's at least as qualified as he isè perlomeno qualificata tanto quanto luithey could at least have phoned!avrebbero almeno potuto telefonare!you could at least have told me!perlomeno avresti potuto dirmelo!at least he didn't sufferalmeno non ha soffertohe's gone to bed - at least I think soè andato a letto - almeno credohe has never been there - at least, that's what he saysnon è mai stato lì - o almeno così dicesuch people are at the very least guilty of negligencetali persone sono come minimo colpevoli di negligenzacandidates should, at the very least, be proficient in two foreign languagesi candidati devono padroneggiare almeno due lingue straniere
- 4in the least I'm not worried in the least o I'm not in the least (bit) worried I'm not hungry in the least, I'm not in the least (bit) hungrynon ho minimamente o assolutamente fameit doesn't bother me in the leastnon mi disturba affattoit doesn't matter in the leastnon ha nessuna o la minima importanzanot in the least!per niente! niente affatto!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com