When less is used as a quantifier ( less money), it is translated by meno: meno soldi. For examples and particular usages, see → less 1 in the entry below. - When less is used as a pronoun ( you should have taken less), it is translated by meno: avresti dovuto prenderne meno. Less than is usually translated by meno di and even less by ancora meno. For examples and particular usages of these, see → less 2 in the entry below. - When less is used as an adverb followed by a verb, an adjective, or another adverb ( to eat less, less interesting, less often), it is translated by meno: mangiare meno, meno interessante, meno spesso. For examples and particular usages, see → less 3 in the entry below. - For the phrase less and less, see → less 3 2. - For less used as a preposition ( less 10%), see → less 4.
- I have less than you they have little money but we have even less I gave them less to eat less than halfin less than three hoursmeno della metàin less than no timein meno di tre ore13 is less than 18in un batter d'occhio o in men che non si dicaa sum of not less than £1,000 he was less than honest, helpful13 è più piccolo di 18it's an improvement, but less of one than I had hoped she's nothing less than a common criminal nothing less than written proof will satisfy themfu tutt'altro che onesto, disponibileit's nothing less than a scandal!saranno soddisfatti soltanto quando avranno le prove scrittethey want nothing less than the bestè proprio uno scandalo!I offered them £800 for the car but they let me have it for lessvogliono soltanto il megliohe's less of a fool than you think they will think all the less of her for it I think no less of her for thatho offerto loro 800 sterline per la macchina ma me l'hanno lasciata per menothe less she knows about it the betternon la stimo di meno per questoI want £100 and not a penny less!meno ne sa meglio èthe less said about it the bettervoglio 100 sterline e non un penny di meno!people have been shot for less!meno si dice meglio èless of your impudence! less of that! (to child misbehaving)c'è chi è stato ucciso per meno!basta! smettila!
- 1 I read less these days I liked it less than you did I dislike him no less than youthat's less urgent, seriousnon mi sta meno antipatico che a temuch less importantè meno urgente, graveit matters less than it did beforemolto meno importanteit's less complicated than you think she is no less qualified than youha meno importanza di primaless oftennon è meno qualificata di teit's less a village than a townmeno soventethe more I see him, the less I like him no less than 30 people, 85%è più una città che un paesethey live in Kensington, no less!non meno di 30 persone, dell'85%he's married to a countess, no less!abitano nientemeno che a Kensington!no less a person than the emperorè sposato nientemeno che con una contessa!one of the less known valleysnientemeno che l'imperatorehe was less offended than shocked she wasn't any the less happy much o still o even lessuna delle valli meno conosciutehe can't afford to rent a house, much less buy oneancora menonon si può permettere di affittare una casa, ancora meno di comprarne una
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 19: NOTHING
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com