When less is used as a quantifier ( less money), it is translated by meno: meno soldi. For examples and particular usages, see in the entry below. - When less is used as a pronoun ( you should have taken less), it is translated by meno: avresti dovuto prenderne meno. Less than is usually translated by meno di and even less by ancora meno. For examples and particular usages of these, see in the entry below. - When less is used as an adverb followed by a verb, an adjective, or another adverb ( to eat less, less interesting, less often), it is translated by meno: mangiare meno, meno interessante, meno spesso. For examples and particular usages, see in the entry below. - For the phrase less and less, see . - For less used as a preposition ( less 10%), see .
- I have less than you they have little money but we have even less I gave them less to eat less than halfmeno della metàin less than three hoursin meno di tre orein less than no timein un batter d'occhio o in men che non si dica13 is less than 1813 è più piccolo di 18a sum of not less than £1,000 he was less than honest, helpfulfu tutt'altro che onesto, disponibileit's an improvement, but less of one than I had hoped she's nothing less than a common criminal nothing less than written proof will satisfy themsaranno soddisfatti soltanto quando avranno le prove scritteit's nothing less than a scandal!è proprio uno scandalo!they want nothing less than the bestvogliono soltanto il meglioI offered them £800 for the car but they let me have it for lessho offerto loro 800 sterline per la macchina ma me l'hanno lasciata per menohe's less of a fool than you think they will think all the less of her for it I think no less of her for thatnon la stimo di meno per questothe less she knows about it the bettermeno ne sa meglio èI want £100 and not a penny less!voglio 100 sterline e non un penny di meno!the less said about it the bettermeno si dice meglio èpeople have been shot for less!c'è chi è stato ucciso per meno!less of your impudence! less of that! (to child misbehaving)basta! smettila!
- 1 I read less these days I liked it less than you did I dislike him no less than younon mi sta meno antipatico che a tethat's less urgent, seriousè meno urgente, gravemuch less importantmolto meno importanteit matters less than it did beforeha meno importanza di primait's less complicated than you think she is no less qualified than younon è meno qualificata di teless oftenmeno soventeit's less a village than a townè più una città che un paesethe more I see him, the less I like him no less than 30 people, 85%non meno di 30 persone, dell'85%they live in Kensington, no less!abitano nientemeno che a Kensington!he's married to a countess, no less!è sposato nientemeno che con una contessa!no less a person than the emperornientemeno che l'imperatoreone of the less known valleysuna delle valli meno conosciutehe was less offended than shocked she wasn't any the less happy much o still o even lessancora menohe can't afford to rent a house, much less buy onenon si può permettere di affittare una casa, ancora meno di comprarne una
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com