Translation of liberty in Italian:
- 1 (freedom)libertà (feminine) (also PhilosophyPolitics)individual, political libertylibertà individuale, politicacivil libertieslibertà civilito be at, to set somebody at libertyessere libero, mettere qualcuno in libertàto be at liberty to doessere libero di fareI am not at liberty to say [formal]non ho il diritto di parlarne
- 2 (presumption)to take the liberty of doing to take liberties with something, somebodyprendersi delle libertà con qualcosa, qualcunoit is a bit of a liberty o rather a liberty to doè abbastanza sfrontato farewhat a liberty! [informal]che sfacciataggine!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com