Translation of lid in Italian:
to blow the lid off something
- [informal]mettere a nudo qualcosa
to flip one's lid
- [informal]uscire dai gangheri o dare i numeri
to keep the lid on something
controllare qualcosa(keep secret)
tenere segreto qualcosa
to put a lid on something
- [informal]mettere freno a qualcosa
to put the lid on something
- [informal] (finish)mettere fine a qualcosa
that really puts the (tin) lid on it!
- [informal]questo è il colmo!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com