Translation of meaning in Italian:
- 1 (sense)(of symbol, gesture, name) significato (masculine)what is the meaning of this word? a word with two meaningsuna parola con due significatiwhat is the meaning of this?che cosa significa questo?poverty? he doesn't know the meaning of the word!povertà? non sa neanche che cosa vuol dire!
- 3 (purpose) my life, work no longer has any meaningla mia vita, il mio lavoro non ha più sensoto give new meaning todare un nuovo senso a (life, work)
- 5 (drift)yes, I get your meaning [informal] he likes a little drink, if you get my meaning [informal]non gli dispiace bere, se capisci cosa voglio dire
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com