Translation of merit in Italian:
- (of idea, philosophy, plan, behaviour, person) to have merit(plan, idea)to judge somebody on their own merits
avere valoregiudicare qualcuno per i suoi meritito judge something on its own meritsvalutare i pro e i contro di qualcosa (situation, case)there's some, little merit in his workla sua opera ha un certo, scarso valorethere's some, little merit in doingci sono dei meriti, pochi meriti nel farecertificate of merit to give due merit to somebody for doingriconoscere a qualcuno il giusto merito di fare
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com