When much is used as an adverb, it is translated by molto: it's much longer = è molto più lungo; she doesn't talk much = lei non parla molto. For particular usages, see → much 1 below. - When much is used as a pronoun, it is usually translated by molto: there is much to learn = c'è molto da imparare. However, in negative sentences non… un granché is also used: I didn't learn much = non ho imparato un granché. - When much is used as a quantifier, it is translated by molto or molta according to the gender of the following noun: they don't have much money/much luck = non hanno molto denaro/molta fortuna. For particular usages, see → much 2 below.
- 1 (to a considerable degree) much smaller, happiermolto più piccolo, molto più felice (than di)they're not much cheaper than the originalsnon costano molto meno degli originalimuch more interestingmolto più interessantethe film was much better than expectedil film era molto meglio del previstoit's much better organizedè molto meglio organizzatothey're getting much less demandingstanno diventando molto meno esigentithe shoes are much too expensivele scarpe sono davvero troppo careit's much too dangerousè un po' troppo pericolosohe doesn't much care for themnon gli importa un granché di loroI didn't much like what I sawnon mi è piaciuto molto quello che ho vistoshe doesn't worry much about itnon se ne preoccupa moltowe'd much rather stay herenoi preferiremmo di gran lunga restare quithe meeting has been much criticizedl'incontro è stato molto criticatothey are much to be pitieddevono essere compatitiyour comments would be much appreciatedi vostri commenti saranno molto graditihe's not much good at Latinnon è molto bravo in latinohe's not much good at tennisnon gioca molto bene a tennishe's not much good at doingnon è molto bravo a faredoes it hurt much?fa tanto o molto male?it's much the more interesting of the two studiesfra i due è di gran lunga lo studio più interessanteshe's much the best teacher hereè di gran lunga l'insegnante migliore che c'è quimuch to our annoyance, they didn't phone backcon nostro grande disappunto, non ci hanno richiamatomuch to my surprise
- 2 (often) we don't go out muchnon usciamo moltothey didn't see each other much she doesn't talk much about the pastnon parla molto del passatodo you go to concerts much?vai spesso ai concerti?a much married film staruna star del cinema che si è risposata molte volte
- 3 (approximately, nearly)più o meno, pressappoco, all'incircato be much the sameessere quasi uguale (as a)his condition is much the same as yesterdayle sue condizioni sono pressappoco uguali a ieriit's pretty much like driving a carè più o meno come guidare una macchinahe behaved much the way the others did in much the same waypiù o meno nello stesso modo (as di)much the same is true of Chinaquasi lo stesso si può dire della Cina
- 4 (specifying degree to which something is true)too much you worry, talk too muchti preoccupi, parli troppovery much(a lot) molto(absolutely) moltissimo, tantissimohe misses you very muchgli manchi da morireI'd appreciate it very much ifmi farebbe molto piacere sethanks very muchmolte, mille graziewe enjoyed ourselves very muchci siamo divertiti moltissimoshe's very much like her mothersomiglia tantissimo a sua madreit's very much the norm I felt very much the foreigner so much I wanted so much to meet youavevo così tanta voglia di incontrartiit hurts so much it's so much betterè davvero molto megliohe hates flying so much that he prefers to take the boat thanks so much forgrazie di cuore peras muchtanto (as quanto)I like them as much as you (do)li amo tanto quanto teshe doesn't worry as much as beforenon si preoccupa più (tanto) come primathey hated each other as much as eversi odiavano così come sempreshe is as much entitled to a visa as you they were as much a part of village life as the farmersfacevano parte integrante del villaggio tanto quanto i contadinihe wasn't sure and said as muchnon ne era sicuro e l'ha ammessoI thought as much however much you'll have to accept the decision however much you disagreedovrai accettare la decisione anche se non sei d'accordoI couldn't cry out however much it hurtper quanto male facesse, non riuscivo a urlare
- 5 (emphatic: setting up a contrast)not so much X as Ynon tanto X, ma piuttosto Yit wasn't so much a warning as a threat the discovery wasn't so much shocking as depressing it doesn't annoy me so much as make me wonderpiù che darmi fastidio mi stupisce
- 6also: much asper quanto, anche semuch as he needed the money, he wouldn't beg for itper quanto bisogno avesse di quel denaro, non lo avrebbe mai chiestomuch as we regret our decision we have no choiceanche se ci dispiace dover prendere una tale decisione non abbiamo scelta
- 7also: much lesstanto menoI've never seen him much less spoken to himnon l'ho mai visto, né tanto meno gli ho parlato
- 8also: so much aswithout so much as saying goodbye, as an apologysenza neanche salutare, senza neanche scusarsiif you so much as move, sighse ti azzardi a muoverti, a lamentartithey can be imprisoned for so much as criticizing the regimepossono essere incarcerati anche solo per avere criticato il regime
- 9also: so much for(having finished with)so much for that problem, now forchiudiamo l'argomento e passiamo a(used disparagingly) [informal]so much for equality, liberalismaddio uguaglianza, liberalismoso much for saying you'd helpmeno male che avevi detto che avresti dato una mano
- have you got much money, work?hai molti soldi, tanto lavoro?I haven't got (very) much timenon ho molto tempowe didn't get much supportnon abbiamo ricevuto molto appoggioit doesn't make much sensenon ha molto sensothere isn't much wine leftnon c'è quasi più vinodoes he watch much TV?guarda molto la televisione?she didn't speak much English too much energytroppa forzato spend too much moneyspendere troppi soldiwe don't have too much timenon abbiamo troppo tempodon't use so much saltnon mettere così tanto salewhy does he make so much noise?perché fa così tanto rumore?I spent so much time doingho passato così tanto tempo a fareshe gets so much enjoyment out of the radiole piace così tanto ascoltare la radiowe paid twice as much moneyabbiamo pagato il doppio (dei soldi)how much time have we got left?quanto tempo ci rimane?how much liquid does it contain?quanto liquido contiene?
- 1 (a great deal) do you have much left?ne avete ancora molto?did he earn much?ha guadagnato molto?we have much to learnabbiamo molto da imparare (from da)we didn't eat muchnon avevamo mangiato moltothere isn't much to donon c'è un granché da farehe doesn't have much to saynon ha molto da direthere isn't much one can do to prevent itnon si può fare molto per impedirlohe doesn't have much to complain aboutnon ha molto da lamentarsiit leaves much to be desiredlascia molto a desiderarethere's much to be said forci sono molti argomenti a favore di (plan, country life, job sharing)much ofgran parte dimuch of the difficulty lies ingran parte della difficoltà sta inmuch of the meeting was spent discussinggran parte della riunione la si è passata a discuteremuch of their work involvesbuona parte del loro lavoro consiste inmuch of what remains is useless much of the resentment is due toil rancore è dovuto in gran parte aI don't see much of them now to make much of something(focus on) dare importanza a qualcosa(understand) capire qualcosathe report made much of the scandal I couldn't make much of her last booknon ho capito molto del suo ultimo libro
- 2 (expressing a relative amount, degree)so much they are willing to pay so much per vehicle we'd eaten so much that …abbiamo mangiato così tanto che …she spends so much of her life abroadvive soprattutto all'esteroshe spends so much of her life abroad that …passa così tanto tempo all'estero che …so much of her work is gloomygran parte delle sue opere sono cupeso much of the earth is pollutedgran parte della terra è inquinataso much of the time, it's a question of patiencenella maggior parte dei casi è una questione di pazienzatoo much it costs too muchè troppo caroyou eat too muchmangi troppoit's too much!è troppo!(in protest) questo è troppo!she's late again? that's a bit much!è ancora in ritardo? adesso (si) esagera!it's too much of a strain she was too much of an egotist to doera troppo egoista per fareI couldn't eat all that, it's too much for me!non ce la farei a mangiare tutta quella roba, è troppo per me!the heat was too much for themfaceva troppo caldo per lorothe work was too much for themil lavoro era troppo per lorothe measures proved too much for themi provvedimenti si dimostrarono troppo rigidi per lorohe was too much for his opponentera troppo forte per il suo avversarioI bought about this muchne ho comprato più o meno tanto cosìhe's read this much alreadyha già letto tutto questoI'll say this much for him, he's honestposso dirti questo di lui: è una persona onestathis much is certain, we'll have no choiceuna cosa è certa, non avremo sceltatwice as muchdue volte tantoif we had half as much as youse avessimo la metà di quello che hai tuI'll need half as much againme ne servirà ancora metàas much as possible they paid as much as we didhanno pagato tanto quanto noiis it as much as that?(costa) così tanto?I enjoy nature as much as the next person it can cost as much as £50si può arrivare a pagarlo 50 sterlineit was as much as I could do not to laughsono riuscito a malapena a trattenere le risateit is as much as to sayequivale a direhow much? how much did you pay for it?quanto l'hai pagato?tell us how much you won how much do they know?quanto ne sanno?he never knew how much we missed himnon ha mai saputo quanto ci è mancatodo you know how much this means to me?sai quanto significa questo per me?
- 3 (focusing on limitations, inadequacy)it's not o nothing muchnon è niente di cheit's not up to much (British English)non è un granchéhe's not much to look at(fisicamente) non è un granchéshe doesn't think much of himnon ha una buona opinione di luishe doesn't think much of itnon ne pensa un gran che beneI'm not much of a letter-writernon amo molto scrivere lettereI'm not much of a readernon sono un gran lettoreit's not much of a filmnon è un gran filmit wasn't much of a lifecosì non era vivereit wasn't much of a holiday for usnon è stata una vera vacanza per noithat's not much of a consolation! I'm not much of a one for cooking [informal]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com