When much is used as an adverb, it is translated by molto: it's much longer = è molto più lungo; she doesn't talk much = lei non parla molto. For particular usages, see → much 1 below. - When much is used as a pronoun, it is usually translated by molto: there is much to learn = c'è molto da imparare. However, in negative sentences non… un granché is also used: I didn't learn much = non ho imparato un granché. - When much is used as a quantifier, it is translated by molto or molta according to the gender of the following noun: they don't have much money/much luck = non hanno molto denaro/molta fortuna. For particular usages, see → much 2 below.
- 1 (to a considerable degree) much smaller, happierthey're not much cheaper than the originalsmolto più piccolo, molto più felicethan dimuch more interestingnon costano molto meno degli originalithe film was much better than expectedmolto più interessanteit's much better organizedil film era molto meglio del previstothey're getting much less demandingè molto meglio organizzatothe shoes are much too expensivestanno diventando molto meno esigentiit's much too dangerousle scarpe sono davvero troppo carehe doesn't much care for themè un po' troppo pericolosoI didn't much like what I sawnon gli importa un granché di loroshe doesn't worry much about itnon mi è piaciuto molto quello che ho vistowe'd much rather stay herenon se ne preoccupa moltothe meeting has been much criticizednoi preferiremmo di gran lunga restare quithey are much to be pitiedl'incontro è stato molto criticatoyour comments would be much appreciateddevono essere compatitihe's not much good at Latini vostri commenti saranno molto graditihe's not much good at tennisnon è molto bravo in latinohe's not much good at doingnon gioca molto bene a tennisdoes it hurt much?non è molto bravo a fareit's much the more interesting of the two studiesfa tanto o molto male?she's much the best teacher herefra i due è di gran lunga lo studio più interessantemuch to our annoyance, they didn't phone backè di gran lunga l'insegnante migliore che c'è quimuch to my surprisecon nostro grande disappunto, non ci hanno richiamato
- 2 (often) we don't go out muchthey didn't see each other much she doesn't talk much about the pastnon usciamo moltodo you go to concerts much?non parla molto del passatoa much married film starvai spesso ai concerti?una star del cinema che si è risposata molte volte
- 3 (approximately, nearly)to be much the samepiù o meno, pressappoco, all'incircahis condition is much the same as yesterdayessere quasi ugualeas ait's pretty much like driving a carle sue condizioni sono pressappoco uguali a ierihe behaved much the way the others did in much the same way much the same is true of Chinaè più o meno come guidare una macchinaquasi lo stesso si può dire della Cina
- 4 (specifying degree to which something is true) See examples:too much you worry, talk too muchvery muchti preoccupi, parli troppo(a lot)(absolutely)he misses you very muchmoltissimo, tantissimoI'd appreciate it very much ifgli manchi da morirethanks very muchmi farebbe molto piacere sewe enjoyed ourselves very muchmolte, mille grazieshe's very much like her motherci siamo divertiti moltissimoit's very much the norm I felt very much the foreigner so much I wanted so much to meet yousomiglia tantissimo a sua madreit hurts so much it's so much betteravevo così tanta voglia di incontrartihe hates flying so much that he prefers to take the boat thanks so much forè davvero molto meglioas muchgrazie di cuore peras quantoI like them as much as you (do)she doesn't worry as much as beforeli amo tanto quanto tethey hated each other as much as evernon si preoccupa più (tanto) come primashe is as much entitled to a visa as you they were as much a part of village life as the farmerssi odiavano così come semprehe wasn't sure and said as muchfacevano parte integrante del villaggio tanto quanto i contadiniI thought as much however much you'll have to accept the decision however much you disagreenon ne era sicuro e l'ha ammessoI couldn't cry out however much it hurtdovrai accettare la decisione anche se non sei d'accordoper quanto male facesse, non riuscivo a urlare
- 5 (emphatic: setting up a contrast) See examples:not so much X as Yit wasn't so much a warning as a threat the discovery wasn't so much shocking as depressing it doesn't annoy me so much as make me wondernon tanto X, ma piuttosto Ypiù che darmi fastidio mi stupisce
- 6also: much asmuch as he needed the money, he wouldn't beg for itper quanto, anche semuch as we regret our decision we have no choiceper quanto bisogno avesse di quel denaro, non lo avrebbe mai chiestoanche se ci dispiace dover prendere una tale decisione non abbiamo scelta
- 7also: much lessI've never seen him much less spoken to himtanto menonon l'ho mai visto, né tanto meno gli ho parlato
- 8also: so much aswithout so much as saying goodbye, as an apologyif you so much as move, sighsenza neanche salutare, senza neanche scusarsithey can be imprisoned for so much as criticizing the regimese ti azzardi a muoverti, a lamentartipossono essere incarcerati anche solo per avere criticato il regime
- 9also: so much for(having finished with) See examples:so much for that problem, now for(used disparagingly) [informal]so much for equality, liberalismchiudiamo l'argomento e passiamo aso much for saying you'd helpaddio uguaglianza, liberalismomeno male che avevi detto che avresti dato una mano
- have you got much money, work?I haven't got (very) much timehai molti soldi, tanto lavoro?we didn't get much supportnon ho molto tempoit doesn't make much sensenon abbiamo ricevuto molto appoggiothere isn't much wine leftnon ha molto sensodoes he watch much TV?non c'è quasi più vinoshe didn't speak much English too much energyguarda molto la televisione?to spend too much moneytroppa forzawe don't have too much timespendere troppi soldidon't use so much saltnon abbiamo troppo tempowhy does he make so much noise?non mettere così tanto saleI spent so much time doingperché fa così tanto rumore?she gets so much enjoyment out of the radioho passato così tanto tempo a farewe paid twice as much moneyle piace così tanto ascoltare la radiohow much time have we got left?abbiamo pagato il doppio (dei soldi)how much liquid does it contain?quanto tempo ci rimane?quanto liquido contiene?
- 1 (a great deal) do you have much left?did he earn much?ne avete ancora molto?we have much to learnha guadagnato molto?we didn't eat muchabbiamo molto da impararefrom dathere isn't much to donon avevamo mangiato moltohe doesn't have much to saynon c'è un granché da farethere isn't much one can do to prevent itnon ha molto da direhe doesn't have much to complain aboutnon si può fare molto per impedirloit leaves much to be desirednon ha molto da lamentarsithere's much to be said forlascia molto a desideraremuch ofci sono molti argomenti a favore di(plan, country life, job sharing)much of the difficulty lies ingran parte dimuch of the meeting was spent discussinggran parte della difficoltà sta inmuch of their work involvesgran parte della riunione la si è passata a discuteremuch of what remains is useless much of the resentment is due tobuona parte del loro lavoro consiste inI don't see much of them now to make much of somethingil rancore è dovuto in gran parte a(focus on)dare importanza a qualcosa(understand)the report made much of the scandal I couldn't make much of her last bookcapire qualcosanon ho capito molto del suo ultimo libro
- 2 (expressing a relative amount, degree) See examples:so much they are willing to pay so much per vehicle we'd eaten so much that …she spends so much of her life abroadabbiamo mangiato così tanto che …she spends so much of her life abroad that …vive soprattutto all'esteroso much of her work is gloomypassa così tanto tempo all'estero che …so much of the earth is pollutedgran parte delle sue opere sono cupeso much of the time, it's a question of patiencegran parte della terra è inquinatatoo much it costs too muchnella maggior parte dei casi è una questione di pazienzayou eat too muchè troppo caroit's too much!mangi troppoè troppo!(in protest)she's late again? that's a bit much!it's too much of a strain she was too much of an egotist to doè ancora in ritardo? adesso (si) esagera!I couldn't eat all that, it's too much for me!era troppo egoista per farethe heat was too much for themnon ce la farei a mangiare tutta quella roba, è troppo per me!the work was too much for themfaceva troppo caldo per lorothe measures proved too much for themil lavoro era troppo per lorohe was too much for his opponenti provvedimenti si dimostrarono troppo rigidi per loroI bought about this muchera troppo forte per il suo avversariohe's read this much alreadyne ho comprato più o meno tanto cosìI'll say this much for him, he's honestha già letto tutto questothis much is certain, we'll have no choiceposso dirti questo di lui: è una persona onestatwice as muchuna cosa è certa, non avremo sceltaif we had half as much as youdue volte tantoI'll need half as much againse avessimo la metà di quello che hai tuas much as possible they paid as much as we didme ne servirà ancora metàis it as much as that?hanno pagato tanto quanto noiI enjoy nature as much as the next person it can cost as much as £50(costa) così tanto?it was as much as I could do not to laughsi può arrivare a pagarlo 50 sterlineit is as much as to saysono riuscito a malapena a trattenere le risatehow much? how much did you pay for it?equivale a diretell us how much you won how much do they know?quanto l'hai pagato?he never knew how much we missed himquanto ne sanno?do you know how much this means to me?non ha mai saputo quanto ci è mancatosai quanto significa questo per me?
- 3 (focusing on limitations, inadequacy) See examples:it's not o nothing muchit's not up to much (British English)non è niente di chehe's not much to look atnon è un granchéshe doesn't think much of him(fisicamente) non è un granchéshe doesn't think much of itnon ha una buona opinione di luiI'm not much of a letter-writernon ne pensa un gran che beneI'm not much of a readernon amo molto scrivere lettereit's not much of a filmnon sono un gran lettoreit wasn't much of a lifenon è un gran filmit wasn't much of a holiday for uscosì non era viverethat's not much of a consolation! I'm not much of a one for cooking [informal]non è stata una vera vacanza per noi
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 15: LOT1
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com