The pronoun none (of) can have three different meanings: a) when it means not any of a number of people or things, it is related to a countable plural noun and is translated by nessuno/nessuna, as in none of my relatives came to see me = nessuno dei miei parenti è venuto a trovarmi, or none of his statues were sold = non è stata venduta nessuna delle sue statue; b) when it means not any of something, it is related to an uncountable noun and it may be translated by niente, neanche, nessuno/nessuna or nemmeno, as in “do you take any sugar in your coffee?” “none, thank you” = “metti zucchero nel caffè?” “niente, grazie”; c) when it means not one thing or person, it is translated by niente or nessuno/nessuna, as in even an old car is better than none = anche una macchina vecchia è meglio di niente. - Please note that none is different from nothing or nobody in that it always has or implies a relative, not an absolute meaning; compare the following examples: none of my colleagues were at the office = nessuno dei miei colleghi era in ufficio, and there was nobody at the office = non c'era nessuno in ufficio.
- 1 (not any, not one) none of us, you, themnessuno di noi, di voi, di loronone of the chairs, housesnessuna delle sedie, delle case“have you any pens?” - “none at all”“hai delle penne?” - “no, neanche una”none was more beautiful, interesting than…nessuno era più bello, interessante di…there's none so clever, old as Janenon c'è nessuno intelligente, vecchio quanto Janeif you need a lawyer, there's none better than Georgese hai bisogno di un avvocato non ce n'è nessuno migliore di Georgehe saw three dogs, none of which was blackha visto tre cani, nessuno dei quali era nerohe waited for some sign of anger but saw noneaspettava un gesto di rabbia ma non ne videI waited but none cameho aspettato ma non è venuto nessunonone but him, younessuno tranne lui, teI told none but him, you none but a fool would do itsoltanto uno stupido potrebbe farloit was none other than Peter, the prime minister (himself)non era altri che Peter, il primo ministro (in persona)
- 2 (not any, no part)none of the wine, milkneanche una goccia di vino, di lattenone of the breadnemmeno una briciola di panenone of the cheeseneanche un pezzetto di formaggio“is there any money left?” - “none at all” “did you have any difficulty?” - “none whatsoever o at all”“hai avuto delle difficoltà?” - “proprio nessuna”we have nonenon ne abbiamothere's none leftnon ce ne sono più o non ce n'è piùnone of it was true, of any interestnon c'era niente di vero, di interessantehe was having none of itnon ne voleva sapere o non voleva sentire storiewe'll have none of that now!adesso basta!some money is better than nonemeglio pochi soldi di niente
- (not, not at all)it was none too easy, pleasant it's none too warmnon fa per niente caldoI was none too sure, happy that …non ero niente affatto sicuro, contento che …“I'm here!” - “and none too soon!”“eccomi!” - “per niente presto!”he was none the worse for the experience the play is long, but none the worse for thatl'opera è lunga, ma non per questo meno bella
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com