When used as a reflexive pronoun, direct and indirect, oneself is translated by si : to hurt oneself = farsi male; to enjoy oneself = divertirsi. - When used in emphasis the translation is sé o se stesso : to do something oneself = fare qualcosa da sé. - For particular usages see the entry below.
- 1(reflexive) si, sé, se stesso(after preposition) sé, se stessoto wash, cut oneself to be sure of oneself to look pleased with oneselfavere l'aria soddisfatta o compiaciutato have the house all to oneselfavere la casa tutta per séto talk to oneselfparlare da solo o fra sé e sé
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com