Translation of owe in Italian:
- 1 (be indebted for)dovere (money, invention, life, success)to owe something to somebodydovere qualcosa a qualcuno (good looks, talent, failure)dovere qualcosa a qualcuno, essere debitore di qualcosa a qualcuno (money)I owe him £10 for the ticketgli devo 10 sterline per il bigliettohe still owes us for the ticket I've forgotten my purse, can I owe it to you?ho dimenticato il portafoglio, posso restituirteli più tardi?my mother, to whom I owe so much I owe you a favour, I owe you one [informal]a buon renderehe owes me a favour, he owes me one [informal]
- 2 (be morally bound to give)dovere (apology, duty, loyalty, explanation, thanks)you owe it to your parents to work hardlavorare molto è un dovere nei confronti dei tuoi genitoriyou owe it to yourself to try everythingè un dovere verso te stesso di fare ogni tentativo possibiledon't think the world owes you a living! [informal]non credere che tutto ti sia dovuto!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com