Translation of pain in Italian:
- 1 (suffering) to feel pain, to be in painsoffrire o avere malehe's caused me a lot of pain the cramps are causing me a lot of paini crampi mi fanno molto malethe pain of separation, lossil dolore della separazione, perditato feel no painnon sentire alcun dolore(American English) [figurative] (be drunk) non sentire nulla per l'ubriachezza
- 2 (localized) abdominal, chest painsdolori addominali, al pettoperiod painsdolori mestrualiI have a pain in my armho male a o mi fa male un bracciowhere is the pain?dove ti fa o hai male?
- 3 [informal] (annoying person, thing)she can be a real painsa essere una vera rompiscatolehe gives me a painmi da fastidio o mi rompe le scatolehe's a pain in the neck [informal]è un rompiscatolehe's a pain in the arse (British English) [vulgar] o in the ass (American English) [vulgar]è un rompicoglioni o rompipalleit's a real pain in the arse (British English) [vulgar] o in the ass (American English) [vulgar]è una vera rottura (di palle)
also: pains plural noun
- to be at pains to do somethingdarsi pena o prendersi la briga di fare qualcosaI was at pains to speak very slowlymi sono sforzato di parlare lentamenteto take great pains over o with somethingdarsi gran pena per qualcosafor my, his etc. painsper il mio, suo ecc. disturbohe got a black eye for his painsin cambio si è pure preso un occhio nero
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com