Translation of people in Italian:
- 1(in general)
gente (feminine)(specified or counted)disabled, old people
persone (feminine)gli invalidi, gli anzianithey're nice peopleè gente simpaticahow many people are there?quante persone ci sono?there were several, a few, 500 peoplec'erano parecchie, alcune, 500 personethere was a roomful of peoplela stanza era piena di gentethere were a lot of peoplec'era molta gentea lot of, most people think that …molta gente, la maggior parte della gente pensa che …some people here think that …alcuni qui pensano che …people say that …la gente dice o si dice che …what will people say?che cosa dirà la gente?other people say that …altri dicono che …other people's propertyla proprietà altruihe likes helping peopleama aiutare il prossimo o gli altriyou shouldn't do that in front of peoplenon dovresti farlo davanti alla gente o in pubblicopeople at large, people in generalla gente in generalewhat do you people want?che cosa volete?you of all people!proprio tu!you of all people should know that…proprio tu dovresti sapere che… o tu in particolare dovresti sapere che…I met Jack of all people at the party!fra tutti alla festa ho incontrato proprio Jack!
- 4 [informal] (experts)the tax peoplegli agenti delle tassethe heating peoplegli operai del riscaldamento, quelli del riscaldamento
- 5 [informal](relations)
famiglia (feminine) , parenti (masculine)(parents)
- popolare (with di)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com