Translation of pity in Italian:
- 1 (compassion) out of pityper pietàto feel pityprovare compassioneto have o take pity on somebodyavere pietà, compassione di qualcunoto move somebody to pityfare compassione a qualcuno o muovere qualcuno a compassione
- 1 (feel compassion for)avere pietà, compassione di, compiangere, commiserare (person)he's to be pitiedè da compatireit's the police I pity, not the criminalsè la polizia che mi fa pena, non i criminali
- 2 (feel contempt for)compatire (person)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com