Translation of plain in Italian:
- 3 [euphemistic] (unattractive)(woman)she's rather plain
- 5 (obvious) it was plain to everyone that he was lyingtutti avevano capito che stava mentendoit's a plain fact that …è chiaro che …it is plain from this report that … she's jealous, it's plain to seeè gelosa, è evidenteher suffering was plain to seesi vedeva chiaramente che soffrivato make it plain to somebody that …fare capire chiaramente a qualcuno che …let me make myself quite plain, I'm not goingvoglio essere chiaro, non ci vadodo I make myself plain?sono stato chiaro?she made her irritation quite plain
- 8 (ordinary)I knew him when he was plain Mr Spencerlo conoscevo quando era semplicemente il signor Spencer
- 9 (unflavoured)(yoghurt)
= senza salse, cipolla ecc.
- 1 (completely)(stupid, wrong)plain lazy
completamente, del tuttodi una pigrizia assoluta
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com