Translation of pledge in Italian:
- 1 (promise)promessa (feminine) (solenne), impegno (masculine)to give a pledge to somebodyfare una promessa a qualcunoto give o make a pledge to dopromettere o prendersi l'impegno di fareto keep, break one's pledge to take o sign the pledge [rare] [humorous]= fare voto di astenersi dall'alcol
- 5 [rare] (toast)brindisi (masculine) (to a)
- 1 (promise)promettere (allegiance, aid, support) (to a)to pledge (oneself) to do, to pledge that one will doimpegnarsi a fare, promettere che si faràthe treaty pledges the signatories to doil trattato impegna i firmatari a fareto be pledged to secrecyessere vincolato al segretoto pledge one's word to pledge money to charitypromettere di fare la caritàto pledge allegiance to the flag
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com