Translation of quiet in Italian:
- 1 (silent)(church, person, room)to keep o stay quiet to go quiet
quieto, silenzioso(person, assembly)the room went quiet
tacerenella stanza si fece silenzioto keep something quietimpedire a qualcosa di fare rumore (bells, machinery)fare tacere (dog, child)be quiet(stop talking)
silenzio(make no noise)you're quiet, are you OK?
silenzio o non fare rumoresei silenzioso, va tutto bene?
- 3 (discreet)(diplomacy, chat)
riservato, fatto in privato(confidence, optimism)
pacato, sereno(despair, rancour)
velato, dissimulato(colour, stripe)I had a quiet laugh over it
sobrio, discretone ho riso fra me e me o ne ho riso sotto i baffito have a quiet word with somebodyparlare con qualcuno in privato
- 6 (docile)(child, pony)
transitive verb(American English)
- 1 (calm)calmare (crowd, class)
- 2 (allay)dissipare (fears, doubts)
- 3 (silence)fare tacere (person)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com