Translation of rather in Italian:
- 1 (somewhat, quite) it's rather fun it's rather expensiveè piuttosto carohe's rather youngè piuttosto o abbastanza giovaneit's rather like an appleè abbastanza simile a una melarather easilyabbastanza facilmenterather stupidlypiuttosto stupidamenteI rather like himmi sta abbastanza simpatico o mi piace abbastanzaI rather think she's rightho l'impressione che abbia ragionehe's rather a boreè alquanto noiosohe's rather a cruel manè un uomo piuttosto crudeleI'm in rather a hurry it's rather a pityè proprio un peccatoit's rather too, more difficultè un po' troppo, più difficile
- 2 (more readily, preferably)rather than somethingpiuttosto che o di qualcosarather than dopiuttosto di fareI would o had rather dopreferirei fare (than do piuttosto che fare)I would o had much rather do would you rather wait?preferireste aspettare?he'd die rather than admit itpreferirebbe morire piuttosto che ammetterloI'd rather die! I'd rather not I'd rather not say I'd rather you did, didn'tpreferirei che tu facessi, non facessi
exclamation(British English) [informal]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com