Translation of relieve in Italian:
- 1 (alleviate)alleviare, attenuare (pain, suffering, distress, anxiety, tension)scacciare, ingannare (boredom)ridurre (poverty, famine)migliorare (social conditions)alleggerire (debt)rompere (monotony)to relieve one's feelings(when distressed) sfogarsi o dare sfogo ai propri sentimenti(when angry) sfogare la propria collerato relieve congestion (Medicine, Auto)
- 2 (brighten) a black dress relieved by a string of pearlsun vestito nero ravvivato da un filo di perle
- 3 (take away)to relieve somebody oftogliere a qualcuno (plate, coat)alleggerire qualcuno di (bag, burden)to relieve somebody of a post, commandsollevare qualcuno da un incarico, dal comandoa pickpocket relieved him of his wallet [humorous]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com