- 2(break) pausa (feminine)(nap, lie-down) riposino (feminine)to have o take a restriposarsito have a rest in the afternoonfare un riposino pomeridianolet's have a little restfacciamo una pausait was a rest from the serious business of the dayè stato un momento di tregua fra i gravosi impegni della giornatahe really needs a rest
- 2 (allow to rest)riposare (legs, feet)tenere a riposo (injured limb)fare riposare (horse)rest your legs!riposati!
- 4 (keep from entering)(organizer, team)(competitor)
- 1 (relax, lie down)(person)I won't rest until I know
riposarsinon mi darò pace finché non (lo) sapròto rest easy
- 2 (be supported)to rest on(hand, weight, shelf)to be resting on
appoggiarsi su(elbow, arm)to rest on one's spade
essere appoggiato suappoggiarsi alla vangaI need something to rest onho bisogno di un supporto o di appoggiarmi
- 1 (what remains)the rest (of food, books, day, story)il resto (of di)you can keep, leave the restpuoi tenere, lasciare quello che restaI've forgotten the restho dimenticato il restofor the rest of my lifeper il resto della mia vitafor the rest…per il resto…and all the rest of it [informal]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com