Translation of seem in Italian:
- 1 (give impression) he seems happy, sadsembra felice, tristehe seemed disappointedsembrava delusothe statistics, experiments seem to indicate that…le statistiche, gli esperimenti sembrano indicare che…there seems to be a fault in the generator he seems to be looking for, to have lost…sembra che stia cercando, che abbia perso…it would seem so, notsembrerebbe così, non sembrerebbethe whole house seemed to shakesembrava che l'intera casa stesse tremandothings seem to be a lot better between them now things are not always what they seem how does she seem today?come ti sembra che stia oggi?
- 2 (have impression)it seems to me that…mi sembra che…there seem to me to be two possibilities it seems, it very much seems as if o as thoughsembra, sembra proprio cheI seem to have doneho l'impressione di aver fattoI seem to have offended himho l'impressione di averlo offesoI seem to have forgotten my moneymi sembra di avere dimenticato i soldiI seem to remember I left it on the tablemi sembra (di ricordare) di averlo lasciato sul tavoloit seems hours since we left that would seem to be the right thing to dosembrerebbe la cosa giusta da farethere doesn't seem to be any solutionsembra che non ci siano soluzionithere seems to be some mistakesembra che ci sia qualche erroreit seemed like a good idea at the timesembrava una buona idea allora
- 3 (expressing criticism or sarcasm)he, she seems to think that…a quanto pare pensa che…they don't seem to realize that…non sembrano rendersi conto che…you seem to have forgotten this pointsembra che tu ti sia dimenticato di questo particolare(from evidence)they haven't, it seems, reached a decision yetsembra che non abbiano ancora preso una decisioneit seems that sugar is bad for you what seems to be the problem?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com