Translation of serious in Italian:
- 1 (not frivolous or light)(person, expression, discussion, approach, issue, offer, work, literature, actor, scientist, survey, attempt, concern, intention)to be serious about something
seriofare sul serio in qualcosa o prendere qualcosa sul serioto be serious about doingavere davvero l'intenzione di fareis he serious about going to America?vuole sul serio o davvero andare in America?is he serious about her? they're serious about each otherfanno sul serioto give serious thought to somethingpensare seriamente a qualcosathere's no serious case for arguing that…non ci sono seri motivi per sostenere che…this is deadly serious [informal]è una cosa serissimayou can't be seriousnon puoi dire sul serio o non scherzarethey got down to the serious business of eating [humorous]sono passati alle cose serie: si sono messi a mangiarebeing a parent is a serious business to make, spend serious money [informal]fare soldoni, spendere un sacco di soldiif you want to do some serious shopping, surfing… [informal]se vuoi fare shopping, surf come si deve…he's a serious drinker [informal] [humorous]è un bevitore professionista
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com