Translation of sharpen in Italian:
- 2 (accentuate)rendere più netto (line, contrast)aumentare (focus)mettere più a fuoco, più in evidenza (image, picture)
- 3 (make stronger)acuire (anger, desire, interest)accrescere (feeling, loneliness, fear)to sharpen somebody's appetitestimolare l'appetito di qualcuno (for per)[figurative]to sharpen one's wits
stimolare o acuire il desiderio di qualcuno (for per)affinare la menteto sharpen somebody's witsaffinare la mente di qualcunoto sharpen somebody's reflexesrendere pronti i riflessi di qualcuno
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com