Translation of small in Italian:
- 1 (not big)(house, car, coin, dog, bag, mistake, proportion, quantity, stake, sum)(change, increase)(majority, number)a small booka small jobun libricino o un librettoa small matterun lavorettothe dress is too small for heruna faccenda insignificante o una cosa da pocoa small sweatshirtil vestito è troppo piccolo per leithe change was smalluna felpa piccola, (di taglia) smallhis influence was small it would cost a small fortune [informal]il cambiamento fu lievethe small matter of the £1,000 you owe me [ironic]mi verrebbe a costare una piccola fortunait is written with a small letterquella miseria delle 1.000 sterline che mi deviin his o her own small waysi scrive con la lettera minuscolato cut something up smallnel suo piccoloto fold something up smalltagliare qualcosa a pezzettinieverybody, great and small, will be affectedpiegare ripetutamente qualcosathe smallest room [informal] [euphemistic]tutti, senza distinzioni, saranno colpitiit's a small world!il gabinetto
- 3 (not much) See examples:to have small cause o reason for worrying o to worry it is small comfort o consolation to somebodyit is of small consequenceè una misera consolazione per qualcunoit is of no small consequence small wonder he left!è irrilevante o di poca importanzanon c'è da stupirsi che sia partito!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com