Translation of smell in Italian:
- 1(odour) odore (masculine)(pleasant) profumo (masculine) , olezzo (masculine)a smell of cooking, burningun odore di cucina, di bruciatothere's a bit of a smell in herec'è un po' di odore quiwhat a smell!
transitive verb pass., p.pass. smelled smelt (British English)
intransitive verb pass., p.pass. smelled smelt (British English)
- 1(have odour) avere odore(pleasantly) profumare(unpleasantly) puzzarethat smells nice, horribleha un odore gradevole, terribilethis gas doesn't smellquesto gas non ha odorethis flower doesn't smellquesto fiore non profumato smell of roses to smell of garlicpuzzare d'agliothat smells like curryha odore di curry
- 2 [figurative]to smell of racism, corruptionpuzzare di razzismo, corruzioneto smell of complacencysapere di compiacimento
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com